Values and Ethos
Vyners School values its longstanding role in the local community. We are proud that as many as three generations of a single family have attended the school in its sixty year history. At Vyners, we successfully combine a 21st Century education with traditional high expectations of uniform, behaviour and standards. We pride ourselves on the positive relationships that exist in the school and the sense of being part of a happy community.
Our aim is simple: We want to be an outstanding school in every sense of the word and we want to be confident that ‘hand on heart’ 100% of our students get a better deal here than they would in any other school.
Our school values: Community, Aspiration, Respect and Endeavour, underpin everything we do and were developed in conjunction with students, staff, parents and governors in 2013. These are supported by the Vyners 10 which set out the minimum expectations we have of our students.
Our traditional house system unites students from different year groups in sporting, musical and dramatic endeavours as well as extensive fund-raising activities. Visitors to the school and those that have been part of Vyners for a number of years are all in agreement that it is a unique, friendly and supportive environment.
- I value others and understand that our individuality makes our community stronger.
- I share in and celebrate everyone’s success.
Our school motto is ‘Striving for Excellence’ and everyone in our community is encouraged to challenge themselves to be the best that they can be. We encourage students to have big goals, stretching themselves beyond their comfort zone on a daily basis in lessons and during enrichment activities.
- I am proud of who I am and what I have achieved today.
- I actively participate in lessons and school activities.
As a school we have traditional values and high expectations of behaviour, uniform, good manners and attendance. These are the non-negotiable foundations of our school, modelled by all students and staff.
- I do as I’m asked, the first time I’m asked
- I am always in the right place at the right time, doing the right thing
- I understand that school is a formal environment; I dress and behave accordingly
- I attend regularly and arrive on time with the correct equipment
- I am proud of our school, helping to look after it and create a positive learning environment
Learning by its very nature is hard and we want to encourage students who are resilient, not afraid to take calculated risks and make mistakes. We want them to stretch themselves as we know that the most valuable learning takes place outside their comfort zone. There is no such thing as ‘I can’t do it’, only ‘I can’t do it yet’. This Growth Mindset is nurtured by staff and praised where it is demonstrated.
- I can, if I think I can, and I strive to do my best even when learning is difficult.